Thursday, May 8, 2008

A new baby and being more efficient with time.

My wife Tiffany gave birth to a beautiful baby girl last tuesday, the 29th of April. She is just the most wonderful little girl. On top of that, she is one heck of a sleeper. Now I know that she has only been in our lives for 10 days, but she doesn't cry much at all.

When she is hungry she simply puts her hands to her mouth. When she needs to be changed she will start spreading her arms and legs out. When she is tired, she simply falls asleep. Anywhere.
I have to admit, I was quite afraid of what might happen after she was born. I thought I would maybe sleep around 4 hours a night. Well it turns out, I've been getting 6-7 hours a night. Granted it is broken into 75 minute segments, but it sure makes me value the time I have to sleep. But it also has made me value the time I have with her.

Since she has been home, there is a period in the night when she is simply awake. She doesn't cry, she's just awake. She looks around, admiring the contrasting dark and light colors. And she just looks. After about 45 minutes, she goes back to sleep. Instead of whining that I have to get up with my daughter, I look at it as, "I GET to spend time with my daughter!!" She is just getting aquainted with me. But this is the most wonderful time.

I have been off of work for roughly 2 weeks and I have had to make my time count. I don't have all day to sit around and be lazy and I don't have time to spend an hour and a half working out. What I do is mini-circuits. I take 3 exercises of non-competing movement patterns and do each for :30 or 15 repetitions. After each set I rest for :30 then do it again.

This is the same workout our Hi-5 FitCamp does during the 1 week break. Its not easy, but I would rather spend 25 minutes busting hump than spend an hour and a half doing body part workouts that don't do much to use fat and build muscle.

High intensity functionally integrated variable exercise (HI-FIVE).

No comments: